The Joy of Guns – Part 3June 21, 2011 | Author: Screen-Monkey | Category: Home Brew | Tags: 4E, firearms | Leave a comment »
In the last article we made some design decisions about firearm accuracy and tied muzzle energy to damage dice based on Dr. Wilson’s study on gunshot wounds.
You can follow all of the design choices by clicking the links below:
Next, we’re going to handle weapon ranges and reloading time for guns in Dungeons and Dragons Fourth Edition.
Effective Ranges for Firearms
Single projectiles behave differently than scatter-shot ammunition like the kind used in a blunderbuss or shotgun. With that in mind we’ll break them into two groups.
Bullet ranges tied to firearm types
- Black-powder pistol = 10/20
- Modern pistol = 15/30
- Black-powder smooth-bore long arm = 15/30
- Black-powder rifled long arm = 25/50
- Modern rifled long arm = 50/100
- We can extend ranges with feats and items later
Scatter-shot ranges tied to firearm types
Scatter-shot fired from a blunderbuss or shotgun will be simplified as a blast.
- Blackpowder shotgun = close blast 2
- Modern shotgun = 5/10, blast 2
Here is a breakdown of the design decisions for reloading times:
- Black-powder weapons – reload short rest (We can use feats to improve this later)
- Modern revolver – reload move action for 2 bullets (We can add the quick-loader as an item later)
- Magazine loaded weapon – reload minor action
- Belt feed weapon – reload standard action
- Rifle – reload standard action (chambering bullet is free action)
This is a draft of how the guns would look in the weapons table. We still need some additional information before we can assign cost to each of them. (All weapon weights are rounded down.)
|RANGED BALLISTIC WEAPONS|
|Flintlock Pistol||+1||2d4||10/20||X gp||2 lb.||Ballistic||1-shot, Load Short Rest, High crit|
|Webley Revolver||+2||2d4||15/30||X gp||2 lb.||Ballistic||6-shot, Load Move (2), High crit|
|Makarov Pistol||+2||2d4||15/30||X gp||1 lb.||Ballistic||8-shot, Load Minor, High crit|
|Beretta 92||+2||2d6||15/30||X gp||2 lb.||Ballistic||10-shot, Load Minor, High crit|
|Flintlock Musket||+2||3d6||15/30||X gp||10 lb.||Ballistic||1-shot, Load Short Rest, High crit|
|Thompson Machinegun||+3||3d4||50/100||X gp||10 lb.||Ballistic||20-shot, Load Minor, High crit|
|7.62mm AK-47||+3||4d6||50/100||X gp||9 lb.||Ballistic||10-shot, Load Minor, High crit|
|Remington 700||+3||4d8||50/100||X gp||6 lb.||Ballistic||5-shot, Load Standard, High crit|
We will continue adding guns to this table but, in addition, each weapon should still get its own magic item description which we can use to add additional effects, level, cost, and even magical properties if we like. We will also create firearm related items, feats, and perhaps even some powers specifically for firearms.